Saturday, August 2, 2008

Cambridge Adventures! Day .75

Yes. Today was not a full Cambridge day. Hence the decimal seven-fiveness.

In the morning after breakfast everyone brought their luggage down and waited by the porter's lodge to get on a coach. It was sad to leave Keble... stepping through that giant Medieval wooden door one last time... Oxford is an amazing city, and I will do everything in my power to return there someday. There's still so many things to see! And pictures to take! And good times to be had! Indeed. Oxford has not seen the last of me...
On the coach, I read a tad but mostly listened to music, slept and watch the beautiful scenery whip by the windows. Cambridge is much more in the country, so for most of the drive I was serenaded by images of rolling hills, lush fields, and far too many sheep. The sleep was sketch - it threatened to be the "demented spine" scenario all over again, but Mother-bird came to the rescue with one of her magic massages [I credit all my skills to her].

Three hours later, it was CAMBRIDGE TIME. Hurrah! We're staying at Robinson College, which was built in the 80's, so the surroundings are quite different from those at Keble. But the building boasts some spectacularly wacked out artistic details - I have yet to photograph them, but will soon.

So, my mama and I got settled into our [seperate] rooms [right next door to each other] which are quite nice. We both have a balcony which we share with our respective neighbours - mine, a young poet named George; Mom's; a young lady who's name I do not yet know.

After settlation and restation, we headed to town. The layout of Cambridge is drastically different than that of Oxford. Cambridge is much more in the country, so things are further apart. The walk from Robinson to the town is about 15 minutes, and is mostly along a very picturesque walkway, followed on both sides by a creek and many willows. Then you cross a busy street and the walk continues on the otherside, goes over an acient stone bridge and on the other side is the Medieval town of Cambridge! The buildings are as spectacular as in Oxford, but there's something much more charming and rural about Cambridge, even though there are tons of people walking the streets and just as many [actually, more!] nice stores than in Oxford. It's a very different place - I'm sure you'll see by the pictures I'll eventually take/post.

Anyways, once in town, we found a restaurant - the Cambridge Chophouse. Sounds highly uncivilized, but it was a beautiful bistro-esque place, very classy in all respects. The food was also spectacular - I had a steak with quite possibly the best mushroom sauce in all of Christendom. Oh, and my mom and I shared a bottle of delicious Shiraz! Though, I can assure you, that has nothing to do with the crookedness of this shot:

This was one section in the back of the restaraunt. This tunnel led to a room with one big table in it for larger parties.
Funkay. N'est pas?


A close up of the artwork on the back wall. I loved it!




After lunch, it was time for the market. Yes, in Cambridge's town square, there is an open-air market place! We all know how Catherine loves such things, so I was in my glory. There was even a retro clothing stall.... :D. I only bought a couple things today, but I will be hitting it up again.
Mom went back to the college - markets are not her thing. No form of shopping is, really. Not even groceries. Anyways, Mom went back the the college, and so I spent the next few hours shopping in various boutiques and such. There are sooo many little streets and stuff here, I think one could shop for a week solid and still not have seen them all! Hence I bought no clothes today - I want to scout it all out first.
This evening, we had the option of watching a movie in the Robinson College Theatre entitled C.S. Lewis: Dreamer of Narnia. It was a really cool documentary-type film about what inspired Lewis for each of the Narnia books. It was excellently put together and was very interesting. I learned a lot about the less-known details of Lewis' life.
After the movie, Mom and I decided to walk back into town to have a drink and some dessert. We went to a small cafe and sat outside, eating apple pie and drinking delightful cafe concoctions, and chatting about deep things! Mostly the future. As it turns out, Mom's are pretty good at that stuff.


Anyways, I am muchly looking forward to my delightful bed. Off to sleep I go!

-CH

6 comments:

maria. said...

mmmm ... apple pie. So what did influence Lewis to write about Narnia?

cat.herine said...

It was dece... but it wasn't Dutch.

Oooh many things, dear. Many things. I have an hour and a half DVD for you to watch on the subject.

rjh said...

Catherine! I am happy to hear you're doing good out there, and having an unforgettable time. Thanks for your blogs. We should hang out for sure when you get back. Love Rose.

cat.herine said...

Roserieeeeeee!!
I didn't know you blogged. How splendid!

Yes... we definetly HAVE to get together when I get back... it's been a ridiculously long time since we've talked. I don't think it's very healthy for a wife and hubby to be apart for so long. And I miss you very much and I imagine we have much to update eachother on.
So yes, a date shall be planned when I return!

Love, your Super-Wife.

rjh said...

Um, pretty sure if i admit to you that the only reason why i made a blog was so i could follow my dear Husbands trip so far far away, you might blush. So, i won't tell you that. I miss you so very much more, and also say hi to Cammm for me. Love, Super Hubs.

cat.herine said...

oh dear! your plan failed - I am blushing profusely. But I thought I was your Wife? Now I am confused.
But I am sincerely honoured :]
And ney, thou dost not miss me more, I'm afraid. For such unfathomable missingness has ne'er before been felt by a wife, even a super one.

I shall greet Cammm asap. We're keeping in contact via Skype. I'll let you know how he responds.

Love,
the HORSE!