Wednesday, January 16, 2008

juniors.

Is it JUST me, or have kids forgotten their place?
When I came into highschool, there was a certain order of things:
Those in grade 12 were to be respected, almost to the point of hero worship.
Sickening, I know. But still, it was a way of life. The humble grade niners kept their heads down and remained reverently silent in the presence of the senior students. We spoke only when spoken to. When a grade 12 student was rushing down the hallway, we dove out of the way post haste. When there was a line-up in the washroom, you let the grade 12ers go ahead of you despite the fact that your bladder was on the verge of rupture. The grade 12 hall was just that: the GRADE TWELVE hall. Any juniors who dared venture through there at lunchtime were lucky to escape with their lives. Alright, so that may be a bit of an exageration... but you catch my drift.
Anyways, being the angelic, co-operative, obedient child I am, I endured my junior years following these rules, never crossing blades with a senior.
Now I'm in grade 12. The year was SUPPOSED to be mine! I was the one who was now going to be revered, respected, honoured, looked up to, adored, dare I say it... FEARED!
But alas. It is not so.
Almost daily I am pushed by a junior running by. No one makes way for me as I walk down the halls. Juniors use the grade 12 hall regularly, and not just for getting to class... for socializing as well! I still wait in line-ups in the bathroom. When I'm being weird [95% of the time] they give me dirty looks. They have the nerve to TALK to me! To look me in the eye! Even laugh at me! It's just unnatural.

Oh life's bitter injustices.

13 comments:

maria. said...

These younger generations, I tell you, they have no respect for their elders.

cat.herine said...

precisely!

now the question is, how do we go about enforcing the desired respect? legally, that is.

maria. said...

Get Andrew to walk around in front of you demanding attention.

cat.herine said...

Oh, we've tried that. They just start laughing hysterically every time they see Andrew. In fact, he's the only grade 12er they idolize, but on a highly informal friendish level... not the "admire from a distance" level we're aiming for.

maria. said...

Ahhhh. Unfortunately, I don't think that we have any such characters in our midst of the grade twelve population at Guido.

Jessica said...

i totally agree Catherine.... i thought we were suppose to be respected... but no, all they do is laugh.

cat.herine said...

Jess, Maria. We should take charge here.
We'll start by gummering a few of the really obnoxious ones as soon as we're back from exams. Deal? Deal.
Muahahahaaa I can hardly wait!

maria. said...

Catherine ... I think that we can no longer use ourselves as role models - especially because of our lax work ethic.

cat.herine said...

Ooh... good point...
Well, what if we think of ourselves more as enforcers of the law than role models?
Like come on, what's the better compliment:
"Maria is my role model!"
or
"Maria is the ultimate enforcer of rules and regulations!"

I think the answer is rather obvious.

maria. said...

a role model

Ben said...

I know what you mean. Inequality has its upsides, but our obsession with equal rights for all has bred a generation of 14 year olds with no respect or inkling of submission.

Meagan said...

so true... so true....

cat.herine said...

Gasp... Ben, that's exactly it!
The source of this corrupt generation lies in OUR generation... we're breeding monsters!!